- Family Notes
- Our Community
Happy Fall Break!
Remember, classes will resume as normal Monday November 27, 2023.
Hi, Explorer families!
Thank you for sharing ideas through Possip! We’ve heard from 356 of you during the course of the year. We are seeing that 96% of you are happy or mostly happy with YES PREP EAST END SECONDARY.
We heard members of the school community share examples of praise, appreciation, and feedback or questions.
- Praise for improvements in school systems since previous Pulse Checks
- Praise for teachers who are engaged in the success of their students.
- Feedback about increasing student discipline consequences.
- Comments about updating grades more frequently.
We are taking all of your feedback and ideas into consideration for our future planning and follow-up. We hope to hear from you again on our next Possip Pulse Check!
Thanks again for sharing!
Beginning of quarter 2, October 23rd our technology policy is changing. If a student is using their phone or headphones outside the permitted times, students will receive a lunch detention and have their device collected but can pick them up from the dean of students at the end of the day.
Message from Legacy Clinic
Every opportunity starts with a YES!
Our official student lottery application opens October 13 BUT you can join our interest list TODAY to stay up to date with news and info and/or to get in contact with a member of our staff!
¡Cada oportunidad comienza con un YES!
Nuestra aplicación estudiantil abre el 13 de octubre, ¡PERO puede unirse a nuestra lista de interés HOY para mantenerse actualizado con noticias e información y/o para ponerse en contacto con un miembro de nuestro personal!
This year all Explorer Family Association Meetings will take place on Wednesdays from 9:00 - 10:00 am to conveniently coordinate with drop off for parents and take place during the regular working hours of our staff. You can see the dates for the entire year below.
Read about the YES Prep Dress Code and Uniform Policy here: yesprep.org/families/dress-code
Please Follow us on our Social Media Platforms
You can access our social media accounts simply by clicking the Icons.
East End Athletics Team
Explorer Families you can access the Parent and Family Engagement Policy through this link http://bit.ly/46BWn96
Key notes from the PFE Policy:
· Family Associations are required for every YES Prep Campus
· Family Association meetings are to be hosted monthly
· Each campus is required to have a Family Association Representative
· Campuses are to host Title I meetings in the Fall semester
· Parent and Family Feedback & voice is to be included in the CNA process
Skylert Notification & Attendance Calls
Beginning Monday, August 28th guardians will have access to update their Skylert notification options within Family Access. Skylert is the interface that enables you to receive notifications concerning your child(ren). You will have the opportunity to update your notification status and contact information. Please look up the step-by-step guidance on our YES Prep Family Dashboard Page on step-by-step guidance.
A partir del lunes 28 de agosto, las familias tendrán acceso para actualizar sus opciones de notificación de Skylert dentro de Family Access (portal para familias en Skyward). Skylert es la interfaz que le permite recibir notificaciones sobre su(s) hijo(s). Tendrá la oportunidad de actualizar el estado de su notificación y la información de contacto. Consulte la guía paso a paso en nuestra página web YES Prep Family Dashboard sobre la guía paso a paso en como actualizar las opciones de notificación.
- YES Prep Family Dashboard: https://www.yesprep.org/families/dashboards
- Link to PDF: https://bit.ly/3sv4ipS
Attendance calls through Skylert will begin on Monday, August 28. If your student is absent, please expect an automated call at 10:30 AM and at 3:00 PM from the school on the day of the absence. Las llamadas de asistencia a través de Skylert comenzarán el lunes 28 de agosto. Si su estudiante está ausente, espere una llamada automática a las 10:30 AM y a las 3:00 PM de la escuela el día de la ausencia.
Every Minute Counts
Every minute counts when it comes to growing our Explorers and ensuring they achieve their fullest potential. To maximize student attendance, we need your help. It is imperative for students to attend school every day. We understand that illness is beyond your control; however, we want to make sure our Explorers are present all other days. The same applies to students who consistently arrive late or leave early. They are missing important foundational knowledge.
Reasons to Stay Home
- Fever above 99.8 (can return after 24hrs fever free without medication)
- Pink Eye
- Poison Ivy
- Rashes (if contagious and not being treated by doctor)
Reasons NOT to Stay Home
- Minor Stomachache / Cramps
- Missed Bus
- Sick Sibling
- Family member's doctor's appointment
Excused Absences & Submission of Notes
Families are now able to upload student absences and excuse notes into Skyward for approval. Please review this video that details the process.
YES Prep Public Schools defines excused absences as absences due to one or more of the following:
- Medical/dental-related, including appointments
- Bereavement/Funeral for immediate family members
- Absences related to the legal system
- Religious Observances
- Any other absence that is protected under State or Federal law.
- 3 unexcused absences: Parent/Guardian will receive a truancy warning letter via Skyward portal.
- 6 unexcused absences: During semester: Parent/Guardian conference will be held.
- 9 unexcused absences: During semester: Parent/Guardian conference will be held with student and parent/guardian to discuss possible loss of credits.
What to do if your child is absent
- If your student is absent, notify Ms. Salazar @ Oneida.Salazar@yesprep.org call 713-967-7870 or text 832-278-1073 to confirm the absence.
- Excuse notes need to be received within 48 hours of the absence.
- Only three (3) handwritten excuse notes will be accepted per nine-week grading period.
- No student may leave campus during school hours for any reason without prior approval in writing from the student’s parent or guardian. Verbal approval will not be accepted.
- Students are NOT permitted to call home to be picked up, student MUST first go see the school nurse. Our nurse will then call home if a student needs to be picked up. The remainder of the day will count as an excused absence.
- To ensure the safety and security of students, staff, and families, early pick-up ends at 3:00 P.M.. Parents/Guardians must show a valid ID and sign the student out at the front office.
- We will NOT release students to anyone not listed on the student's profile or who does not have a valid ID.
- Early leaves are unexcused until the office receives a written/medical excuse or a skyward submission.
- No student may leave campus during school hours without prior approval in writing/email from the guardian.
- Verbal approval not accepted.
Food or Iteam Drop Off
- Front office staff will NOT interrupt classroom instruction to notify your student or call them to the front office.
- Students are responsible for picking up food/items left at the front office.
- Students may not share food with others at any time unless permitted by campus leaders.
- Only parents/guardians/emergency contact are allowed to drop off food. No food delivery services are allowed.
To ensure the safety and security of our school, it is required that all students wear their Student IDs visibly throughout the school day. All students were given a student ID at the beginning of the school year and have been issued replacements when reported lost.
Please make sure your student comes to school wearing their ID every day. Teachers are checking that students are wearing them during 1st period. If students are not wearing them, they will receive a temporary ID sticker and issued a "No ID" Demerit. After 1st period, if a student is seen without an ID, they will be issued an Auto-Detention for removing their ID.
It is a student's responsibility to keep track of their ID. If a student needs a new ID or part of an ID, their account will be charged the following amounts.
- New ID card: $1
- New ID pouch: $1
- New ID lanyard: $1
- ID bundle (all 3): $3
If a student does not have the cash at the time of requesting the ID, the fees will be charged to the student's Skyward Account and will be due by the end of the school year.
To ensure the safety of our Explorers we ask that students get dropped off at either our front or back entrance, these are marked on the map above with a red drop point. Please DO NOT drop off student across the street due to the high traffic at this time and for the safety of your child.
Student Assistance Forms
We know that you may have some needs that arise as a parent, guardian, or student. You can receive direct help by submitting a “Student Assistance Form” or, a SAF. To communicate any support needs you may have, please click on the SAF link on the district website or use the QR code below. A campus Student Support Counselor will follow up with you to determine the best way to get your need met. SAFs can be submitted for:
- Urgent family concerns
- Family or student supplies or resources needed for school (i.e. uniforms, calculator, books, food)
- Student social and emotional concerns
- Student home or family concerns
- Student relationship concerns
- Concerns about harassment, race, or equity
Middle School (6th-8th)
- Dean of Students/ Decano de estudinates: Erika Mark Erika.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Support Counselor/ Consejera de apoyo estudiantil: Arianna Hooker Arianna.email@example.com
High School (9th-12th)
- Dean of Students/ Decano de estudiantes: Whitley Gould Whitley.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Support Counselor/ Consejera de apoyo estudiantil: Brenda Garza Brenda.email@example.com
- Family Notes