- Family Notes
- Our Community
As you know, it is important for me to communicate updates regarding our school when necessary. I am writing to share an important update with you for the 23-24 school year. It is with bittersweet excitement that I share that I will be leaving the role of Principal of East End Secondary School at the end of June.
It has been a privilege to serve as the Principal of East End Secondary. The principal role has been an incredibly rewarding opportunity that has challenged me to grow as a leader and individual. I am thankful for the relationships that I have built with you, your children, and your families. It has been an honor to watch the growth and development of our East End Explorers throughout my time as principal. It has been humbling working with you to overcome hurricanes, a pandemic, and a myriad of other challenges. We have worked tirelessly to build a safe, inclusive school community, and ensure that each student grows as they pursue their future goals.
After a thorough and rigorous selection process by YES Prep School Leadership Team, Kaitlan Peterson has been selected to serve as the YES Prep East End Secondary Principal for the 2023-2024 school year and beyond. Ms. Peterson is well-known in the YES Prep community having served many roles at several campuses on her pathway to becoming a principal, including Interim Principal and Resident Principal during the 22-23 school year. Ms. Peterson has a strong reputation for connecting with families, leading through high expectations, coaching leaders, driving student achievement, and creating sustainable systems for campus results.
Any time there is a change in leadership, as a system we have a strong plan in place to ensure our students, staff, and community have frequent communication and access to important information. There will be opportunities to meet Ms. Peterson in June so please be sure to read future updates. In the event you would like to contact us directly, please reference the contact information below. For questions or concerns related to your child, please continue to contact your student’s teachers, Grade Level Chair, or Dean of Students.
We understand this is an important transition and rest assured that our leadership team will do everything possible to ensure a safe and productive experience for your child. Thank you for all that you do to partner with us as we work to become the Best School for our community. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us
YES Prep Job Fair
We are excited to host the YES Prep Signature Hiring Event on Saturday, May 20th from 10am – 2pm at YES Prep West (10535 Harwin Dr., Houston, TX 77036). This event will include a Job Fair and interviews for campus and Home Office positions currently posted for the 23 – 24 school year. Candidates who have not registered by May 15th can still attend and may be offered an on-the-spot interview. This is a great opportunity to learn more about joining the YES Prep team!
Please visit our job board to apply for open positions, and see the hiring event flyer below:
Please Follow us on our Social Media Platforms
You can access our social media accounts simply by clicking the Icons.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at my office at 713-967-7933
Follow the East End Athletics Team on Instagram
The LAST DAY of programming will be next Friday, May 5th. After that, there will be NO MORE ACE for the rest of May. Summer ACE will begin on June 5th!
We are excited to announce our ACE program for your student to participate, they need to be fully registered in our ACE program. The ACE registration forms are available at the Front Office for you to fill out. If you have any questions about our ACE program, please contact Mr. Edgar Medrano at Edgar.Medrano@yesprep.org or (713) 842-5456.
- To ensure the safety and security of students, staff, and families, early pick up ends at 3:00PM. Parents/Guardians must show a valid ID and sign the student out at the front office.
- We will NOT release students to anyone not listed on the student's profile or who does not have a valid ID.
- If you need to sign your student out early, be advised they will be marked absent for any classes they miss, and an excuse note is required upon their return.
Every Minute Counts
Every minute counts when it comes to growing our Explorers and ensuring they achieve their fullest potential. To maximize student attendance, we need your help. It is imperative for students to attend school every day. We understand that illness is beyond your control; however, we want to make sure our Explorers are present all other days. The same applies to students who consistently arrive late or leave early. They are missing important foundational knowledge.
Excused Absences & Submission of Notes
Families are now able to upload student absences and excuse notes into Skyward for approval. Please review this video that details the process.
YES Prep Public Schools defines excused absences as absences due to one or more of the following:
- Medical/dental-related, including appointments
- Bereavement/Funeral for immediate family members
- Absences related to the legal system
- Religious Observances
- Any other absence that is protected under State or Federal law.
What to do if your child is absent.
- If your student is absent, notify Ms. Salazar @ Oneida.Salazar@yesprep.org or 713-967-7870 to confirm the absence.
- Excuse notes need to be received within 48 hours of the absence.
- Only three (3) handwritten excuse notes will be accepted per six-week grading period.
- No student may leave campus during school hours for any reason without prior approval in writing from the student’s parent or guardian. Verbal approval will not be accepted.
- Students are NOT permitted to call home to be picked up, student MUST first go see the school Nurse. Our Nurse will then call home if student needs to be picked up. The remainder of the day will count as an excused absence.
Late to School
- Students are considered late if they arrive after 8:30 A.M.
- Students will earn a "Late to School" demerit each time they are late.
- After a student has been late to school 3 times, they will earn an additional consequence.
Food or Item Drop-Off
- Front office staff will NOT interrupt classroom instruction to notify your student or call them to the front office.
- Students are responsible for picking up food/items left at the front office.
- Students may not share food with others at any time unless given permission by campus leaders.
- Only parents/guardians/emergency contact are allowed to drop off food. No food delivery services are allowed.
To ensure the safety and security of our school, it is required that all students wear their Student IDs visibly throughout the school day. All students were given a student ID at the beginning of the school year and have been issued replacements when reported lost.
Please make sure your student comes to school wearing their ID every day. Teachers are checking that students are wearing them during 1st period. If students are not wearing them, they will receive a temporary ID sticker and issued a "No ID" Demerit. After 1st period, if a student is seen without an ID, they will be issued an Auto-Detention for removing their ID.
It is a student's responsibility to keep track of their ID. If a student needs a new ID or part of an ID, their account will be charged the following amounts.
- New ID card: $1
- New ID pouch: $1
- New ID lanyard: $1
- ID bundle (all 3): $3
If a student does not have the cash at the time of requesting the ID, the fees will be charged to the student's Skyward Account and will be due by the end of the school year.
Thank you for your support in keeping our school community safe by helping your student wear their IDs every day!
To ensure the safety of our Explorers we ask that students get dropped off at either our front or back entrance, these are marked on the map above with a red drop point. Please DO NOT drop off student across the street due to the high traffic at this time and for the safety of your child.
Student Assistance Forms
We know that you may have some needs that arise as a parent, guardian, or student. You can receive direct help by submitting a “Student Assistance Form” or, a SAF. To communicate any support needs you may have, please click on the SAF link on the district website or use the QR code below. A campus Student Support Counselor will follow-up with you to determine the best way to get your need met. SAFs can be submitted for:
- Urgent family concerns
- Family or student supplies or resources needed for school (i.e. uniforms, calculator, books, food)
- Student social and emotional concerns
- Student home or family concerns
- Student relationship concerns
- Concerns about harassment, race, or equity
- Family Notes